Brief History of the College
Establish in January, 1978 as the training arm of Kainji Lake Research Institute (now National Institute for Freshwater Fisheries Research, NIFFR) New Bussa, with only Fisheries Technology as the main focus of training in both Artisanal, National and higher National Diploma Programmes.
In the year 2000, College became autonomous by an act of Parliament – official gazette of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, No. 94, Vol. 87 of 27th December, 2000 and had to diversity and become more relevant to the needs of the surrounding communities and the country at large. Six new academic departments were introduced leading to Pre-ND, ND and HND in various fields of technology and all the programmes are duly accredited by NBTE (the regulating body for technical education in Nigeria)
To train students to become skilled, self-reliant and enterprising in Fisheries and Allied technologies.
A career-focused tertiary institution that provides skills and entrepreneurial training in Fisheries and Allied disciplines.
Agricultural Research Council of Nigeria (ARCN), Mabushi, Abuja.
List of Departments
Presently, the College has the following Departments:
- Academic Departments
- Fisheries Technology
- Agric. Technology
- Agric. Extension and Management Technology
- Food Technology
- Hospitality Management Technology
- Home and Rural Economics
- Pre-National Diploma/Basic Science and Technology
- Non Academic Departments
- Accounts / Bursary
Key Mandates of the College
- To train and produce junior, intermediate and senior fisheries personnel for inland fisheries development through short and long term formal education.
- To train and retrain middle level manpower in aquaculture technology and encourage women participation in fisheries through post-harvest technology.
- To train and produce food technicians, technologists and chemical analysts in carrying out preservation, processing, packaging, storage and marketing of food commodities and equipment.
- To train Agricultural extension technologists to carry out extension work among farmers and fisher folks and to organize agricultural co-operatives and exhibitions, marketing of farm produce, tools, equipment and assisting in agricultural research and managements.
- To train technicians capable of applying modern farming techniques in agricultural production.
- To train caterers who are capable of producing acceptable local and continental cuisines as well as hoteliers for managing the hospitality industry.
- To train technicians who can help to empower and improve rural economies.
Programmes Offered in the College
|S/N||Academic Department||Programmes Offered|
Pre-ND, Science and Tech
Agric. Extension & Management Technology
Hospitality Management Technology
|7||Home and Rural Economics||ND||---||---|
Principal Officers of the College
1. Provost/CEO : Dr. C. T Madu ( 08057016244,08100347755)
2. Deputy Provost: Dr. F. O. Moody (080570771125, 08065104750)
3. Ag. Registrar Mall. S. A Idris (08056983846, 08163281414)
4. Ag. Bursar Alh. Y. N. Abdul (08057052610,07060992151)
5. College Librarian Mrs. I D Madu (08057100429,07068380720)