Agriculture in Nigeria: The New Policy Thrust
Agriculture in the context of the economy is tied with the various sectors and improved cialis and canada custom is essential for generating broad based growth necessary for development. Agriculture is fundamental to the sustenance of life and is the bedrock of economic development, especially in the provision of adequate and nutritious food so vital for human development and industrial raw materials for industry. Sustainable agricultural development is propelled by agricultural policy. The first national policy on agriculture was adopted in 1988 and was expected to remain valid for about fifteen years, that is, up to year 2000.
The Agricultural Policy
Nigeria's agricultural policy is the synthesis of the framework and action plans of Government designed to achieve overall agricultural growth and development. The policy aims at the attainment of self sustaining growth in all the sub-sectors of agriculture and the structural transformation necessary for the overall socio-economic development of the country as well as the improvement in the quality of life of Nigerians.
The Broad Policy objectives Include:-
- Attainment of self-sufficiency in basic food commodities With particular reference to those which consume considerable shares of Nigeria's foreign exchange and www.babynews.de for which the country has comparative advantage in local production;
- Increase in production of agricultural raw materials to meet the growth of an expanding industrial sector;
- Increase in production and processing of exportable Commodities with a view to increasing their foreign exchange earning capacity and further diversifying the country's export base and sources of foreign exchange earnings;
- Modernization of agricultural production, processing, Storage and distribution through the infusion of improved technologies and management so that agriculture can be more responsive to the demands of other sectors of that Nigerian economy;
- Creation of more agricultural and rural employment Opportunities to increase the income of farmers and click now levitra cheap prices rural dwellers and to productively absorb an increasing labour force in the nation;
- Protection and improvement of agricultural land resources and preservation of the environment for sustainable agricultural production;
- Establishment of appropriate institutions and creation of administrative organs to facilitate the integrated development and realization of the country's agricultural potentials.
Features of the Policy
The main features of the policy include the evolution of strategies that will ensure self-sufficiency and the improvement of the level of technical and economic efficiency in food production. This is to be achieved through the introduction and adoption of improved seeds and seed stock, husbandry and appropriate machinery and equipment. Efficient utilization of resources, encouragement of ecological specialization and recognition of the roles and potentials of small scale farmers as the major production of food in the country, Reduction, in risks and uncertainties were to be achieved through the introduction of the agricultural insurance scheme to reduce natural hazards factor militating against agricultural production and security of credit outlay through indemnity of sustained losses. A nationwide, unified and all-inclusive extension delivery system under the Agricultural development Programme (ADP) was put in place in a joint Federal and State Government collaborative effort. Agro -allied industries were actively promoted. Other incentives such as rural infrastructure, rural banking, primary he21th care, cottage industries etc. were provided, to encourage agricultural and rural development and attract youth, including school leavers, to go back to the land. The agricultural policy is supported by sub-policies that facilitate the growth of the sector.
These sub-policies cover issues of labour, capital and land whose prices affect profitability of production systems; crops, fisheries, livestock and land use; input supply, pest control and mechanization; water resources and rural infrastructure; agricultural extension, research, technology development and transfer; agricultural produce storage, processing, marketing, credit and insurance; cooperatives, training and manpower development, agricultural statistics and information management. Implementation of the agricultural policy is, however, moderated by the macro-economic policies which provide the enabling environment for agriculture to grow pari passu with the other sectors. These policies usually have major impact on profitability of the agricultural system and the welfare of farmers as they affect the flow of funds to the sector in terms of budgetary allocation, credit, subsidies, taxes ete and, therefore, must be in harmony and mutually reinforcing with the agricultural policy. The macro policies comprise the fiscal, monetary, trade, budgetary policies and other policies that govern macro-prices.
Concerns of Agricultural Research in the Agricultural Policy
Research and Development including Biotechnology
The effort in this direction is to finance agricultural research including bio-technology and breeding of predators for biological control of crop pests which the private sector may not be willing to invest in due to the high capital outlay and the Prevailing low return on agricultural investments. The output Of the research system would be disseminated by the extension services of States and Local governments to farmers and also from large scale to small scale farmers. In this wise, the research system will be rationalized and made more focused and demand-driven.
Animal Vaccine Production
The objective is to raise the level of vaccine production Nigeria to self-sufficiency status and also to cater for the entire West Africa sub-region. Towards this end, the premier institution, for anima' vaccine production in the sub-region, the National Veterinary Research Institute (NVR) at Vom, would be strengthened, enlarged and modernized to actualize this objective under a three-year programme.